Home is where your story begins...

But your blog is where your story is told!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Canning Season

I am slowly but surely learning how to bottle stuff. I think it is the rural influence here in NW Missouri. Everyone seems to do it. Peer pressure!

This year our peach tree (about 3 years old) gave us around 80 beautiful peaches. So i have frozen peaches, bottled them, and made freezer jam, regular cooked jam, and today i made a batch of Peach Stone Jelly, which is an heirloom recipe from Scott's grandmother who died before i married into the family.

I also made a batch of ketchup from my friend's gift of tomatoes. My 15 tomato plants which i started from seed, were mowed off by the lawn service that we have. So my goal of canning a bunch of my own tomatoes, salsa, etc will have to wait til next year.

I will add some photos of my beautifully bottles of stuff when i find my camera. Which is probably in a bottle somewhere.

Before:


After:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Great job...I'm impressed. And I'm sure you will spend the next year loving all that hard work every time you pop open a jar!

Corynn said...

I want to learn to bottle things. Maybe Louise knows how. hm...

Boston Paynes said...

YUMMY !!!!! Wish I lived closer to you so I could have a little taste.