Home is where your story begins...

But your blog is where your story is told!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Catch and Release Program

I dunno what is going on around here, but this year we have been attacked by large amounts of critters who like to come up on our back deck and eat the cat's food. I can always tell when we've had a "visitor" because they don't have very good manners..they knock the cat's water bowl over and spread stuff around. So, after something decided to take up living under my front porch, i decided enough was enough. We have a live catch trap at the farm which we have used to catch annoying pests and sometimes just to see what we can catch (skunk, 2 baby foxes, misc cats, possums, coons, etc). So i brought the trap home and set it up on the deck. SCORE!!! First night i got a nice sized possum. But the best part was the 2nd possum who was trying to help possum #1 break out. So, i knew there was more than one. Next morning, i took possum #1 for a ride out to the country (this is where the catch and release program comes in!).

Then, 3 days ago we noticed that something was living in our garage. Lots of stuff was knocked over, the garbage was chewed open and strewn around. Our cats don't do this. So we kept the garage door shut and set the trap inside. Last night we came home from our stake meetings and found the possum hiding behind the garbage can in the garage, but it's tail was sticking out. So Scott got his gloves, grabbed it by the tail, and yanked it out of it's hiding place, and slammed it into the trap. MY HERO!!! I wish i woulda had the video camera going. It would have made a nice U-Tube upload!

So, over the past 2 weeks we have caught 4 possums, one racoon (he was a mean critter), and one neighborhood cat. I let the cat go immediately...they say you won't catch a cat twice, so i guess he learned his lesson. And we haven't seen it back around here! Next time i catch something i will try to remember to take a picture. If you'd like a nice juicy possum for some possum stew, i can deliver!

5 comments:

Sam Ransom said...

THAT IS CRAZY!!! He is so brave!! I don't think I would ever have the guts to grab it even with gloves!!

Corynn said...

I love your little adventures. Keep catching 'um!

Justin and Linzi said...

That is a pretty interesting story! You guys seem to get a lot of possums around there. I am not so sure about that possum stew! My personal opinion is when it comes to possums, you should do a catch and kill! I hate those nasty things! I miss you! I hope you post something about your upcoming birthday!

scrapwordsmom said...

Had to smile. We caught 8 possums in our old HOUSE on Buchanan!!! One was in our bedroom!

Anonymous said...

wow, that's pretty awesome! we dont have anything that exciting in AZ, maybe a scorpion or a big cockroach!! definetly take a picture next time!!