We became an apiary this weekend with the addition of two hives of bees on our farm. Bees are something that has interested me since hearing that honey bees are becoming more and more extinct. So when some of Scott's co-workers mentioned the idea of becoming bee-keepers he knew i would be in favor of it. We ordered our hive bodies and supers, along with bee suits and all the necessary stuff online. We've been watching a series of DVD's about how to do beginning bee keeping, and read all kinds of books and an excellent bee blog.
Yesterday was the big day...our bees came in. We drove to Auburn, NE (about an hour)to pick them up. Along for the ride were Casey and Morgan. Now you have to understand that certain members of the family (not me) were scared to death of the whole process, but want the end result of lots of honey. So we arrived at the bee place and noticed that there were bees everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. They were amazingly docile and we left with no one getting stung. So we had about 25,000 bees in our trunk...
About half way home we noticed the bees were making their way into the inside of the car. Each bee package had quite a few "cling-ons"...bees that were along for the ride but not inside the bee package. So we stopped and let these out of the car. Had a few more get into the car again, but still no one got stung.
Got to the farm and installed the bees. It was SO INTERESTING. Can't wait til tomorrow to go back out there and check on them. I'll keep you posted on the progress. But until then, i'm just mindin' my beez-wax!!!
Sunday, April 19, 2009
BEES!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
That is so cool. I remember my grandma keeping bees when I was young. Love the pictures! I am looking forward to hearing more of your bee adventures.
Really neat! You'll have to let us know how the honey tastes!!
freaking scary!!!!!!!!! guess i won't be visiting the farm anymore now that i know there are a million bees buzzing around with their big stingers!
I'm totally impressed. Kelli you amaze me. You will never ever grow old. You are just too hip and cool.
No way. No how. Your new hobby terrifies me. I would be walking around with my epi-pen hoping to not meet my maker!
Hi Kelli!
I just popped over from Heather's blog to see what you are up to! Wow! Our friend, Mike Feuerbacher, also raises bees down there! Isn't it so cool? Our family also has some on our farm (well in the fields down by one of the reservoirs)...we all enjoy that honey too! My favorite is the creamed honey!
Did you move to a farm or is it the land out by the lake you had? Good to see you and Scott!
We FINALLy had a nice day here...nearly 80 degrees! I missed the milder southern temperatures this winter, that is for sure! Take care!
HOw awesome! Have you seen that show on PBS about bees? VERY interesting. It would make you feel EVEN BETTER about starting your own bee colonies.
You guys have so much fun!
Oh, & I love the outfits.
Wow! You are amazing and brave! I can't wait to see your end product and if you ever get stung.
Hope your AZ visits' were great, sorry we didn't see you, but I think the beach count down is about 6 weeks!
And I love the friends blog w. butter and your recipes...keep them coming!
Looks like you have been buzzy! What fun! My grandparents used to have bees if I remember right? I still enjoy honey and peanut butter sandwiches. Bees are amazing aren't they?
How cool a fellow beekeeper! Love your pictures. I haven't posted my pictures yet.
See ya buzzin round ;)
Cynthia
Kelli, you have the coolest occupations.
You look so cute in those suits! Steve had bees in Texas. I think we should get some more.
Post a Comment