I am mostly posting this for my mother, who reads my blog to see what in the world is happening. She is 1300 miles away. :~(
It is bee time, time to set up new hives. We are increasing from 2 to 5 this year. So we were out working, and were in a hurry so i didn't zip up my veil to my collar, which was a serious mistake. After a while i noticed a bee walking along the mesh of my veil. Then i realized it was INSIDE. I tried to calmly walk away from the hives where there was probably 500 bees buzzing madly because we were messing with them. When i finally was far enough to feel safe, i ripped the veil off, but in the commotion i upset the bee and one of it's friends and got stung twice. Once on the very back of my head and once on the temple. Immediately started taking benedryl and a double dose of Zyrtec.
Long story short: 2 days later my eye was completely swollen shut. And i was out of town. But thanks to my Family Practitioner back home who is also a fellow bee-keeper, i got some steroid pills and i'm just fine now. Not allergic, or my throat would swell shut. I just "react strongly." As my kids say, "sucks to be me."
Friday, April 30, 2010
Bees sting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
You weren't lying when you said your eye was swollen shut!! That is serious!
I think I don't want bees now!
You looked 100% better when I saw you on saturday. That must have been soooo painful!
I got stung by a wasp on my cheek the summer I moved and my whole left part of my face did that, it looked like a bad botox job,I didn't want to be seen in public, thinking that people would stare.lol I was like that for just over a week, but ice made it better, atleast took the fever out of it, but benadryl works wonders.
I am impressed that your eyebrows were thoroughly tweezed for the pic. I did not see a single stray eyebrow on that close-up.
I guarantee you that I would not be posting any close-ups of my eyes for that very reason.
yup, that bee did a number on you. so sorry! I'm even sorrier to here you're giving up bee-keeping. what are you doing w/ all your hives and equipment?
WOW!! YIKES!! I am so afraid of bees! I have never been stung on the eye like that but I have been stung and always swell like crazy!
Miss you! I was so said to hear you won't be at camp this year- I'm actually going! But I met your niece at precamp and she seems awesome!
For the record: Luckily, i had just gotten my eyebrows waxed a day or two before that.
I took the perscribed doseage of benedryl PLUS a double dose of Zyrtec. Didn't touch it, as you can see.
I have been pressed back into service (Scott wasn't about to give up beekeeping) and have been back in my bee suit working on the hives. I had to really work on making sure i didn't panic. But i did it!!!
Wow Kelli. That looks like it hurts! Your dad said he thought that would be good for getting rid of wrinkles! What a guy! Love U
Mom
Post a Comment