Home is where your story begins...

But your blog is where your story is told!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Temple Groundbreaking!

This is the day we've waited for! The official groundbreaking for our new temple. Now the construction can begin, making each day one day closer to the dedication and opening.

I felt extremely blessed to be one of the few who received a ticket to attend the groundbreaking in person. It was a cold, windy morning, but even if it had been pouring rain or snowing, i still would have happily attended. I have never been to a groundbreaking before, and i was so excited/curious/thrilled/spiritually filled.

One of the speakers commented about the saints who had previously lived in the area who had sacrificed for the gospel, and that their spirits were there with us today, as we were the ones who were being blessed to see this history in the making. It was so thrilling to see/hear the shovels clank into the ground and the first dirt be turned for the building of the temple. I was also touched by Elder Deshler's admonition to use the next two years, while the temple is being built, to become more like the Savior. One of the speakers said it is a "journal entry day", and i quite agree!

If you'd like to see a great blog entry about the temple groundbreaking, click on the link to the right..."Temple Chaser" and scroll through the wonderful posts about the progress of the temple site and today's report on the groundbreaking.

Here is the artist's rendering of the temple: 4 stories, 32,000 square feet. Beautiful!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I almost had to keep pinching myself that it was actually happening and I was actually there!
I found so much dust in and outside of my clothes when I got home. My cameras were covered in it. But it was so worth it. I will never forget that morning. Now I can't wait for the open house and dedication!!
I'm so grateful I was able to be there....best Mother's Day gift ever!
Thanks for the plug!

Krista and Trey said...

The Temple looks great. It has an interesting look to it, two steeples, that is a neat design.

We just went to the open house of the Gila Valley Temple, it was great. We are hoping for the ground breaking of the Gilbert Temple soon.